Looking for ways to point your kids to Jesus? The Fruit of the Spirit is SELF-CONTROL Kids Activities pack is full of simple ideas to teach kids what self-control is in an engaging way. This hands on study of Galatians 5:22-23 is aimed to help your family connect, play, learn, and grow in God’s Word together.
I can hardly believe it’s the final week of Camp Littles and Me: The Fruit of the Spirit. Time sure flies when you’re having fun. Today I can’t wait to share with you the Fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control pack. In case you missed love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness you can find them HERE. This week is all about how we can choose to control our actions, words, and responses. I don’t know about you, but I could always use some more self-control in my life.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of downloading each packet and want everything in an organized PDF you can purchase The Fruit of the Spirit Bible Pack for $12 HERE in my shop. It’s designed to make it extra easy for you, plus it includes a TON of extra resources to help your family dive into the Fruit of the Spirit.
Self-Control is saying no to the things that are not good for me and yes to what is good for me. It means listening and acting how God wants me to rather than reacting or doing what I want to do. Thankfully God wants to help us put self-control into action. I love our verse this week!
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. [2 Timothy 1:7, ESV]
Self-Control isn’t always easy. It means fighting against the temptation to sin and keeping our emotions, thoughts, and actions in control. There’s good news though! We don’t have to do it on our own. The Holy Spirit working in our hearts helps us and when we are tempted we can stop, think, and pray for God to help us obey Him.
Stop what I’m doing.
Think about how my actions, thoughts, words will impact others.
Pray for help to obey God.
Our words, thoughts, and actions are powerful and can be used for so much good, but as we learned when we talked about Kindness they can easily hurt others if we aren’t careful.
Here’s the Supplies You’ll Need:
This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. I only share things that I truly love and think you will too. Clicking these links to purchase will help support my blog so I can keep creating fun things to share with you. You will never pay more by using an affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Hands on: Blocks City Object Lesson
- Create: Self-Control Bubbles Activity
- Make: Apple Donuts
- Apple Corer (Optional)
- Toppings (Yogurt, Peanut Butter, Granola, Fruit, Sprinkles, etc.)
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Optional, but the Fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness pack includes the story suggestion)
The Fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control Activity Instructions
Hands On: Blocks City Object Lesson
- Supplies: Blocks, Socks (1-2 per child rolled into a ball)
- Invite your kids to create a wall around their city with blocks.
- After they are finished building, read Proverbs 25:28.
- This verse tells us that when we don’t have self-control we are like a city who’s walls are broken down.
- Hand a sock (or two to each child). Let’s pretend this city is under attack. Throw your socks at the city. 3-2-1 Attack!
- The Bible also tells us that the devil prowls around like a lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). If we don’t have a wall up to protect us then we won’t survive the attacks of the enemy. God wants to help us when we struggle with self-control. Remember when you’re tempted you can STOP, THINK, & PRAY for God to help you obey Him.
Create: Self-Control Bubbles Activity
- Supplies: Bubbles
- Grab a bottle of bubbles and head outside.
- Let your kids know that you are going to blow bubbles. Tell them that the first time that you blow them they can pop as many as they want.
- After a little while of letting them pop to their heart’s content, stop blowing bubbles and tell them that the rules have changed a bit for this next round of blowing bubbles. Let them know that this time you’re going to blow bubbles but they can’t pop any.
- Talk about it: After you’re all finished talk about how when they really wanted to pop the bubbles but they chose not to, that was choosing self-control. If they popped the bubbles the 2nd time around you can talk about how that wasn’t choosing self-control.
Make: Apple Donuts
- Supplies: Apples, Knife (to slice apples), Apple Corer (or frosting tip to make a hole in the center), toppings (yogurt, peanut butter, granola, fruit, etc.
- Wash, Core (optional), and thinly slice your apples. If you don’t have an apple corer you can use a frosting tip or small circle cookie cutter to make a hole in the center of each apple slice.
- Add your ‘frosting’ (peanut butter, yogurt, etc.).
- Add toppings (granola, fresh fruit, sprinkles, etc.).
BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS SELF-CONTROL PACK BY CLICKING THE BUTTON BELOW:
If your family has enjoyed the Fruit of the Spirit is SELF-CONTROL pack, then you’re going to absolutely love the Fruit of the Spirit Bible Activity Pack which includes all of the files (+ lots of extra goodies!) in an easy to download PDF. You can purchase the complete pack in my shop for just $12. The pack includes an activity print, supplies list, and instructions page (with activity photo) for each fruit. It also includes a TON of extra resources to help your family dive into the Fruit of the Spirit such as an introduction to the Fruit of the Spirit, parent connect + reflect cards, verse cards, coloring pages, a fruit banner that your kids can color and hang up, a Fruit of the Spirit memory game and so much more.
As you encounter opportunities to control your actions, words, and responses this week I pray that you will have new eyes to see how faithful God is to meet us and help us obey Him. May we raise families that choose self-control, and in doing so show God’s character to others.
Looking for additional Fruit of the Spirit Activities? Find them here:
SHARE THE LOVE AND PIN THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS SELF-CONTROL IMAGE BELOW FOR LATER!