Looking for ways to point your kids to Jesus? The Fruit of the Spirit is GENTLENESS Kids Activities pack is full of simple ideas to teach kids what gentleness is in an engaging way. This hands on study of Galatians 5:22-23 is aimed to help your family connect, play, learn, and grow in God’s Word together.
What comes to mind when you think of gentleness? For me it’s telling my two year old daughter to be gentle when she’s around a baby, toddler, or playing with big sis. While gentleness definitely means using soft touches it also goes much deeper than that. Today I can’t wait to share with you the Fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness pack. In case you missed love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and faithfulness you can find them HERE. This week is all about how we can be loving, tender, calm, & humble in the things we say and do.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of downloading each packet and want everything in an organized PDF you can purchase The Fruit of the Spirit Bible Pack for $12 HERE in my shop. It’s designed to make it extra easy for you, plus it includes a TON of extra resources to help your family dive into the Fruit of the Spirit.
Gentleness is being loving, tender, calm, and humble in the things you say and do instead of being harsh or mean. It is a mildness or meekness (quiet, gentle) of spirit. Our verse this week is such a great one for both parents and kids to memorize together.
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. [Proverbs 15:1, NIV]
When I am gentle with someone I speak the truth in love. I don’t always remember this and choose to use harsh or mean words, but there’s so much wisdom in this verse. Gentle words truly do calm a situation and harsh words do indeed stir up anger. I’m so thankful that our good and gentle Shepherd leads us with love and care. He shows us so perfectly how to be gentle and still speak the truth in love.
Here’s the Supplies You’ll Need:
This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. I only share things that I truly love and think you will too. Clicking these links to purchase will help support my blog so I can keep creating fun things to share with you. You will never pay more by using an affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Hands on: Water Balloon Object Lesson
- Water Balloons
- Large Bucket (for the balloons)
- Create: Gentle Words Jar
- Mason Jar or Plastic Jar/Container
- Craft Pom Poms
- Gentle Answer Printable (FREE download below)
- Baking Sheet
- Make: Baked Peaches
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Dish
- Optional: Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream for serving
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Optional, but the Fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness pack includes the story suggestion)
The Fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness Activity Instructions
Hands On: Water Balloon Object Lesson
- Supplies: Water Balloons, Large Bucket (for the balloons)
- To prepare for this activity fill up the water balloons and put them in a large bucket.
- Hand each child a water balloon. Place a bucket away from where they are standing. Ask them to try to get the balloon in the bucket by tossing it in as hard as they can. After they’ve thrown the 1st balloon hand them a 2nd one and tell them that this time they should try to get the balloon in the bucket without breaking it by gently placing it in the bucket.
- Just like the balloon that we weren’t careful with, when we are harsh or careless with our words we can really hurt other people & make them burst. But when we are gentle with our words and actions it shows that we care about others and want to treat them in a kind and loving way.
Create: Gentle Words Jar
- Supplies: Mason Jar or Plastic Jar/Container, Craft Pom Poms (or Cotton Balls, Gentle Answer Printable, Cardstock, Glue, Scissors, Rocks, Baking Sheet
- Print out the Gentle Answer Printable, cut around the tag with scissors and glue to the container.
- First let’s talk about the dierence between harsh and gentle words. Pull out a baking sheet and invite your kids to drop the rocks (harsh words) on the baking tray and then have them drop the pom poms (gentle words) on the baking tray. Ask them what type of words they like to be spoken to them—harsh or gentle?
- Show your kids the gentle words jar. Tell them that over the next week it’s their mission to fill up the jar with gentle words and actions (aka pom poms). Everytime someone in your family shows gentleness in the things they say or do put a pom pom in the jar. Watch your jar fill up over the week!
Make: Baked Peaches
- Supplies: Peaches, Butter, 2 TBSP Brown Sugar, 1/2 TSP Cinnamon, Baking Dish, Optional: Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice peaches in half and remove the pit and place in a baking dish.
- Add a small piece of butter in the middle of each peach.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the peaches.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the top is golden.
*Optional: Serve with a scoop of ice-cream or whipped cream.
BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS GENTLENESS PACK BY CLICKING THE BUTTON BELOW:
If your family has enjoyed the Fruit of the Spirit is GENTLENESS pack, then you’re going to absolutely love the Fruit of the Spirit Bible Activity Pack which includes all of the files (+ lots of extra goodies!) in an easy to download PDF. You can purchase the complete pack in my shop for just $12. The pack includes an activity print, supplies list, and instructions page (with activity photo) for each fruit. It also includes a TON of extra resources to help your family dive into the Fruit of the Spirit such as an introduction to the Fruit of the Spirit, parent connect + reflect cards, verse cards, coloring pages, a fruit banner that your kids can color and hang up, a Fruit of the Spirit memory game and so much more.
As you explore the difference between gentle and harsh words with your family I pray that you would have a fresh encounter with God’s incredible gentleness with us. That our good, faithful, gentle and perfect Shepherd would meet you right where you are. You are loved!
Looking for additional Fruit of the Spirit Activities? Find them here:
SHARE THE LOVE AND PIN THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS GENTLENESS IMAGE BELOW FOR LATER!
I purchased the Fruit of the Spirit Lesson and I’m trying to get back in so I can print additional lessons. I don’t know how to retrieve those lessons.
Hey Sandra, You can access them in your Etsy account. If you aren’t sure how to do that, I’m more than happy to help. Please send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you the steps. Thanks so much!
thank you soo much for your object lesions on gentleness! they really helped me with the childrens bible lesssion on gentleness!
That is such an amazing resource! Thank you for sharing it!
Thank you so much. I found your online resources when we only had 3 fruits of the spirit left. I definitely would have bought it if I would had found it sooner.
[…] water balloons and ain’t nobody got time to clean up eggs, I decided to do the activity from this blog and have a “Gentle Words […]